How to Dispose of Refrigerant Containing Appliances
Your conundrum: You have a RCA to dispose of. What to do?
If the equipment is not moveable (that is, it’s attached to/part of the building, like a walk-in environmental chamber), create a Work Request by calling Plant Operations Call Center (POCC) at 7-2059. If the equipment is moveable (refrigerator, freezer, cooler) here is how to be rid of it and comply with EPA and UM rules.
FOUR STEPS TO DISPOSE OF A REFRIGERANT CONTAINING APPLIANCE
Step 1: Prepare Forms and Documents
- Prepare a Declaration of Surplus Form: (http://finance.umich.edu/system/files/DOS_Feb2014.xlsx)
- Prepare an OSEH Laboratory Equipment Decontamination Form: (http://www.oseh.umich.edu/pdf/laboratory_equipment_decontamination_form.pdf)
- IF THE RCA HAS HAD RADIOACTIVE MATERIAL IN IT: OSEH Radiation Safety Services must be contacted to conduct a survey. Otherwise, as appropriate, certify on the form that the equipment has been properly decontaminated. If you have any questions about this process, contact OSEH (Main Number: 647-1143, or listed on the decontamination form 763-6973) for assistance.
Step 2: Having Completed the Forms, Fax or Email Them to Property Disposition
- Fax 763-2006, or email: Property Disposition (get address)
- Property disposition will review them and send you an "Authorization to Scrap" form and a six-digit number (shortcode) to use if the equipment is in a General Fund building.
Step 3: Write on the Equipment and Tape Some Documents to it
- WRITE the six digit number which Property Disposition will give to you on the unit, preferably in indelible marker.
- TAPE the "Authorization to Scrap" form to the unit.
- TAPE a copy of the OSEH Decontamination Form to the unit.
Step 4: Get Moving and Trucking to Pick up Your Appliance
- Call the Plant Operations Call Center (647-2059) or go to the Plant Operations website and initiate a work order: (https://requests.plantops.umich.edu/) to have Moving and Trucking pick up the equipment and have it delivered to the UM Refrigerant Reclaim facility for proper disposition.
Content modified: Jun 17, 2016